[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Tue May 18 02:44:14 UTC 2010

Spike wrote:

>Ja of course that opens up a whole nuther area: is Alcor to make the
>decision?  Alonse?  Do they answer to anyone?  To the family, who may be
>squicked by the whole thing?

This is an odd corner of the law. Alcor uses a lengthy contract but
also relies on organ donation law. Under the former, the contract
terms would apply. Under the latter, these are all Alcor's decisions.
AFAIK, there's never been a court case to sort out any apparent
conflicts between the two.

I don't know what the current contract looks like. But the one I'm
familiar with asked *a lot* of questions about the member's wishes,
so that Alcor can do what the member wants. It's expected that it
will take a member weeks or months to think through his answers.
It is also made clear what Alcor will do absent instructions from the
member.

>Thanks for the input David!  Ill fill you in as a 4.

That's fine for the sake of your tally, but my answer is the algorithm
I laid out, which yields 4 only some of the time.

-- David.