[ExI] Ilsa Bartlett comments about our cryonics thread

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sat May 22 20:17:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 9:27 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ilsa Bartlett wrote:
> I so want to add that from a chaplain's point of view the dead person  has no say after he or she dies and that unless there is a tight power  of attorney who will shepard the dead man's wishes, the living  relatives have the right to do whatever they want.  And legally can  both retain the money paid and do with the body according to their  desires.  Imagine that you have no legal say once you are DEAD!

                      **********************

There are local, state and federal laws, and different laws in
different countries.  I'm not sure how much credence I can give to the
above, but clearly, for cryonicists, it is a serious concern.

If the rights of the deceased are in question, the rights of the
living must serve.  Be scrupulous in the preparation of your will.
Place your estate with a trusted person or institution prior to your
death.  And, if needs be, legally terminate the kinship relationship
and its consequences.  Children can sue to be "emancipated" from their
parents.  Seek out the legal equivalent that will "emancipate" you
from your default kinship relationships and their defects.

As with Mr. Richardson. the woman whose daughter has declared that she
will do as she (the daughter) pleases, and has the law on her side,
...the woman has been forewarned.

Best, Jeff Davis

 "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                       Ray Charles