[ExI] Fusion Rocket

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 22:08:34 UTC 2010

2010/11/6 Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com>

> There's a fundamental problem with that type of thing.  Anything where you
> aren't
> planning on returning to Earth, but where your trip does have adverse
> consequences
> for those who remain (like radioactive exhaust during launch), doesn't
> shield you
> from people who can predict these consequences and prevent you from
> launching
> even once.

Misunderstanding.

Let us imagine that you make use of a Project Orion spaceship to take out of
the earth gravity well a space solar power plant which "breaks even" and is
then capable of supplying the energy required for its maintenance and
growth. Or a mirror aimed at limiting a (hypotethically real, I am not
discussing the issue here) runaway global warming by deflecting some of sun
irradiation. Or the necessary to create a permanent base where building
stuff and fuel is much cheaper.

You need not imagine that you would go on launcing Project Orion ships every
week for all eternity. They might well simply be a reasonable exception
option in terms of risk-performance to break a few vicious circles.

Having said that, the environmental consequences of a few launch might well
be grossly exaggerated, in particolar in comparison with other
environmentally-challenging techs in widespread use in spite of the very
real damages suffered by many people as a consequence thereof.

--
Stefano Vaj