[ExI] Electric cars without batteries

Mr Jones mrjones2020 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 02:49:22 UTC 2010

Kind of off topic,but speaking of steam...
What if one or two cylinders in the motor were steam driven,using the heat
from the motor's combustion? Perhaps a special block design could facilitate
the necessary heat transfer? Maybe the steam cylinders only fire 1:5
revaluation,whatever the #'s work out to be.
This process could replace the need for radiators,and increase efficiency?
Make some use of all that largely wasted heat energy?

On Oct 24, 2010 11:36 PM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> [...]

Oooookaaaaaayyyy, now I know why we were talking past each other.  Ja, steam
turbines can be made to turn slowly, but we are talking about two completely
different things.  Steam is cold.  Even superheated steam is cold.  Products
of hydrocarbon combustion are hot.  A steam turbine is a big thing, good for
power generation, not good for carrying around to generate power in a
Detroit.

OK no problem, proposal: let's see if there are any steam turbines of 20-ish
kw, I will estimate the boiler needed to make the steam and the condenser
requirements (because that will be possibly as big and heavy as the rotor if
not moreso) and I think we will both see why this notion has never been used
as far as I know for automotive use.  If instead of a condenser, we throw
the low pressure steam overboard after it passes the turbine, the idea would
require too much water mass for a typical trip.

> Next time you have the hood on a vehicle up, take a look at
> the diameter of the alternator and...
> Keith

Hmmm, well OK, with those numbers we should be able to get these two to meet
somewhere in the middle.  With that in mind, we might be able to get a hot
gas turbine to run efficiently down at 30kRPM and a generator that can
sustain those speeds without overheating.