[ExI] Electric cars without batteries

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 13 05:41:14 UTC 2010

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mr Jones
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 6:49 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Electric cars without batteries

>.Kind of off topic,but speaking of steam...

Not off topic.  Long standing tradition at ExI-chat to discuss relevant
technologies, even ones not related to uploading and transhumanism.  If and
until the singularity, we must live and possibly die in a pre-singularity
world.  Dammit.

>.What if one or two cylinders in the motor were steam driven,using the heat
from the motor's combustion? Perhaps a special block design could facilitate
the necessary heat transfer? Maybe the steam cylinders only fire 1:5
revaluation,whatever the #'s work out to be.
This process could replace the need for radiators,and increase efficiency?
Make some use of all that largely wasted heat energy?

Kind of like a cogeneration system for internal combustion.  There should be
some literature somewhere on this.  In automotive technology, everything
that could possibly be thought of has been tried by someone somewhere.

If you are in the mood to search for it, look around of an idea I have been
kicking around: automotive batteries that have some kind of cooling system
for the acid, in order to allow them to charge and discharge quickly.  I got
the idea from a comment Keith made about turbines.  If we had a small
turbine it could be allowed to spin like all hell under constant speed and
constant load, so it is efficient, if there is a good way to use the
electricity in normal traffic.  This would require batteries that can handle
fast discharging and can handle a lot of recharge current.  Someone
somewhere must have extensive testing on this notion, ja?