[ExI] POST-SCARCITY SYMBOLS Launched (defeat despair, create utopia, share hope).

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Sep 6 20:16:43 UTC 2010

 On 9/6/10 12:37 PM, Gregory Jones wrote:

> --- On *Mon, 9/6/10, samantha /<sjatkins at mac.com>/* wrote:
>
> On 9/1/10 1:58 AM, Singularity Utopia wrote:
>> >I believe Post-Scarcity is the most important aspect of the
>> Singularity (Extropy).
>
> >>...Unfortunately it is made up pie in the sky.  Even with MNT there
> is no miraculous, inescapable and they lived happily ever after ending
> coming.  There is a very slim chance that it works out really really
> well for everybody and a much better chance it works out well for a
> relatively smaller number.  But at no time will it be true there is an
> infinite amount of everything desirable...
>

> There is an even stronger argument for Samantha's point.  In those few
> cases where production temporarily far outruns demand, our answer to
> it is to create artificial scarcity.  Examples: housing, using the
> Byzantine building codes and land use restrictions, farm produce,
> using our system of non-production subsidies, printer ink, using our
> protocol patenting system, actually plenty of examples of artificial
> scarcity because of our intellectual property protection system.
> Perhaps the best example would be in software, where the marginal
> production of an item goes to near or exactly zero.

Do you actually know what it takes to produce good software?  The
marginal cost of copying bits has nothing to do with the actual real
scarcity of excellent software talent.  I am not talking artificial
scarcity but real scarcity.

> This line of reasoning leads to the startling and depressing
> realization that even if we manage to create an MBrain and upload
> collective conscious, with plenty of energy to do all the simulated
> thought we simulated want, we would *still* have both scarcity and
> war!  Of course, they would be simulated, but even that would not be
> utopia, for it would not be free of simulated want and simulated
> suffering.

Not just artificial scarcity or limits.   If you have the ability to
make whatever kind of upload world you wish or feel compatible with and
you make an ugly world - oh well.  Guess you have some growing left to
do.  We all do.  It is a very interesting subject how we must change to
actually be compatible with and maximally take advantage of such
possibilities.

- s