[ExI] pale diet again: RE: It's not only the fittest who survive.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:06:33 UTC 2011

2011/4/10 Max More wrote>:
> Yes, Bill. Juicy, bloody, tasty grass-fed beef steaks. If you're lazy or too
> busy, grass-fed beef hot dogs from Applegate. Enormous salads in technicolor
> with green, yellow, red, and orange peppers with olive oil and balsamic
> vinegar. Wild salmon with garlic and your favorite spices.
>
> Or you just eat a bunch of bird seed and diesel fuel.
>
> I'm *loving* my paleo diet. Haven't eaten any worms and haven't seen the
> need the need to, but I'm open to nutritional reason. How about you?

OK, so your paleo diet won't save the world. Too expensive in resource
usage and money.

>From my POV it is just another fad diet, one of thousands. All with
fanatical supporters and just as many critics. Some good points and
some not so good, like all diet plans.

Humans are very adaptable and can live on almost any diet. Many diet
flaws won't show up for ten or twenty years. Loss of bone calcium is a
long term problem for some diets, among others.

A general, mixed diet, with lots of vegetables and avoiding
over-consumption will do just fine.

Attitude seems to have just as much to do with long life as diet (and genetics).
For example,
<http://www.npr.org/2011/04/11/135216852/want-to-live-to-100-try-to-bounce-back-from-stress>
Quote:
So what's going on here? Unusual longevity often has a genetic basis,
and Reichert probably does have a gene that contributes to her unusual
longevity. But she also exhibits a powerful trait geriatricians call
adaptive competence.
I define it loosely as the ability to bounce back from stress. Many
scientists view this solely as biological stress. But many of us who
care for older patients see adaptive competence as psychologically
critical as well.

This also seems to be backed up by 'Blue Zone' surveys.

BillK