[ExI] Paleo diet and sustainability

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:46:44 UTC 2011

On 13 April 2011 07:49, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2011, at 5:44 AM, Dave Sill wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Wait a second.  To raise cattle takes a lot of agriculture to grow
> enough
> >> vegetable matter to feed the cattle.
> >
> > Not true. Cattle and other ruminants require no agriculture, just wild
> > forage.
>
> That is grossly inefficient for the size of the modern appetite for meat.

The "modern appetite for meat" of course depends on the growing number of
people to feed, and on their natural demand for a better, more satisfactory
nutrition.

The cheapest meat used to be that of animals on a different food chain. If
we have deliberately moved those animals on our own, this would appear to
mean that it is more economically efficient to do so than sparing their food
or keeping them out of it.

Of course, this need not mean that it is also the best possible nutritional
choice. Nor that we cannot try and have our steak and eat it too by applying
technology to the problem of producing high-quality meat in the most
efficient possible way, perhaps doing it without full-fledged animals
altogether.

--
Stefano Vaj