[ExI] Fwd: [chicago-reprap] well well, how is everyone?

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 23:35:24 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: smonkey <smonkey at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM
Subject: Re: [chicago-reprap] well well, how is everyone?
To: chicago-reprap at googlegroups.com

And then of course, there is what I like to think of as the "3d printer
singularity" which I feel is rapidly approaching.

True, it won't be a real "singularity" but the tech is changing super fast.

There are now a bunch of3d printer variants out there that work on some type
of filament deposition setup (reprap, makerbot things, etc) that are all
basically the same bits that one can easily port improvements back and forth
at whim.

This means that hacker 3d printing is advancing fast! Super fast!  Just in
the past couple of days Makerbot released a water disolvable plastic, and
some guy on thingiverse dropped in a double head extruder.

This means that within a year or so there'll be multiple material printing
which will allow support materials, allowing....well.....craziness.

Oh, and that's not even going into the people printing circuit boards.
Whoa!

I'm betting the Makerbot cats are going to regret selling the thing-o-matic
and quite soon the main demand will be for a basic bot just to learn basic
skills on.  After that one's going to build oneself a nice big reprap
anyway.

nat

nat

- Bryan