[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 09:38:17 UTC 2011

-----------John wrote---------------------------
Yes, that is exactly what I think this is about. You say the copy is perfect but

it is nevertheless missing something; leaving aside the obvious illogic of such
a thing, what exactly is this secret sauce that the original has that the copy
does not? You say it is not information, and you'd better say it is not atoms or

you will end up inundated in absurdities, so this mysterious ingredient must be
something else entirely and it is of enormous importance too, but for some
unknown reason it cannot be explained or even detected by the scientific method.

There is already a word in the English language for something like that, but I
can't really blame you, I'd feel pretty foolish using The Word That Must Not Be
Named too.

I am not saying that there is something "missing" from the copy. I am saying
that both the original and the copies will have unique reference frames. These
reference frames will be physical in the sense that they will sweep out distinct

world lines in space-time, and mental in the sense that their brains will
perceive/construct a map or model of the world with their particular instance of

self at the origin of a comoving reference frame. Call it the autocentric sense,
if you will, since it is the perception that ones consciousness lies at the

center of the universe.

--------John Wrote-------------------------------------------
Congratulations, you have discovered that (some) things happen at a particular
place at some time; but of course adjectives like you and me do not.

I know you are fond of thinking that the pronouns you and me are adjectives. But

I think they are more like prepositions. The label "you" implies "over there".
Me implies "here".

----------------John wrote--------------------------------
Talking about space-time coordinates does sound much more scientific than
mundane time and place, even if it means the same thing and brings nothing new
to the conversation. And if that is the secret of identity it leads to some
peculiar conclusions, you become a completely unrelated person from one second
to the next, or when you move from one place to another, a totally different
person who's continued consciousness is of absolutely no interest to you, other
than that of empathy. And yet despite it all somehow I seem to continue, how
odd.

Yes you continue there where you are. Like Buckaroo Banzai once said, "wherever
you go, that's where you are". You don't feel like a different person by moving
from one spatial coordinate to another because the reference frame moves with
you i.e. it is co-moving. That's not to say that the autocentric sense can't be
fooled as

the links posted by Amara describe ways that it can be experimentally
manipulated. But it is still an important aspect of consciousness IMO.

> If my copy does not occupy my position in space and time, it is not me.

-----------John wrote-------------------------------
Even if that were true, and I have no reason to think it is, how do you even
know what position you or your copy are in? If you exchange the position of you
and a identical copy of you in a symmetrical room neither you nor the copy will
notice the slightest difference, an outside observer will notice no difference
either. The very universe itself will not notice that any exchange has occurred.

Objectively it makes no difference and subjectively it makes no difference. If
the difference is not objective and the difference is not subjective then that
rather narrows down your options in pointing out just where that difference is.

The autocentric sense does not track your absolute position in space, there is
no such thing, but your position relative to external objects including any
copies of you that may be around. And regardless of your autocentric sense, you
have a physical position and associated reference frame relative to the fixed
stars. Playing some kind of gedanken shell game with your copies does not change
the fact that if one of your copies slapped you in the face, you would not
wonder how you came to inadvertantly slap yourself, instead you would
correctly perceive that someone else has slapped you.

Stuart LaForge

"There is nothing wrong with America that faith, love of freedom, intelligence,
and energy of her citizens cannot cure."- Dwight D. Eisenhower