[ExI] Libertarianism wins again...

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Jul 20 16:12:42 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Will Steinberg
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:47 AM
To: Dan; ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Libertarianism wins again...

>.Sorry I can't be as starry-eyed as some of you.  Government needs to be
there to do things that couldn't be paid for or organized otherwise.  Sorry
(again,) but it's true.  Countless infrastructural components of our daily
lives cannot simply tune into the wondrous libertarian free-market force,
because there is no cognizant demand for them. Everything that is a unitary
product, people can pay for.  Some things, like highways, will never be a
dollar at the local supermarket.  This is what taxes and tolls are for,
because most people living in a country are too unaware of the fact that
countless government-provided amenities that they use every day require
money to maintain.  If you're so concerned about the evils of current-day
government (which are very, very scary and apparent)--do something about it!
Go make a new government somewhere!

>.Because I can guarantee your libertarian paradise will never exist.  Now,
more then ever, a benevolent controlling force is needed to make sure things
proceed in the right direction.  Do you not have the drive to become it?
Because I will, if you don't.

Will, I intentionally left your entire post intact without trimming
anything, because your argument fights itself.  I wanted it all there.

You give the example of roads, then give two ways roads are paid for and
maintained, one of which is an excellent example of a free market solution.
You comment "This is what taxes and tolls are for."

Agreed.  Roads can be built on private property and paid for with tolls.
Users fees pay for maintenance, excellent example of a free market solution.

> .Now, more then ever, a benevolent controlling force is needed.

Sure but how do we keep a controlling force benevolent?  I propose market
competition.

>. make sure things proceed in the right direction.

Indeed.  What if this benevolent controlling force sends things off in the
wrong direction, such as is happening right now?

>. Do you not have the drive to become it?  Because I will, if you don't.

Will, this comment does fail to reassure me that controlling forces will be
benevolent.  Eventually the benevolent forces become the new pigs.