[ExI] From Friendly AI to Loving AI

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat May 7 18:01:34 UTC 2011

Subject: Re: [ExI] From Friendly AI to Loving AI

On 6 May 2011 21:44, F. C. Moulton <moulton at moulton.com> wrote:

>>. for the moment I will keep my opinion of religious dogma out of the
discussion.  Fred

Fred you are far too polite sir.  Offering one's opinion of religious dogma
is allowed here.  Encouraged even.  {8^D

>.It is however interesting how bioluddite feminism manages to make a
"technology=oppression" manifesto of female masturbatory devices' history.

>.See The Technology of Orgasm:
<http://www.amazon.com/Technology-Orgasm-Hysteria-Vibrator-Satisfaction/dp/0
801866464/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304785996&sr=8-2> "Hysteria," the
Vibrator, and Women's Sexual Satisfaction
by Rachel P. Maines
<http://www.amazon.com/Rachel-P.-Maines/e/B002M0384G/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?q
id=1304785996&sr=8-2> . -- Stefano Vaj

An interesting and fun bit of well-researched historical fiction was TC
Boyle's Road to Wellville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_to_Wellville

The book was remarkably well done, bringing in a number of obscure
historical circumstances of Battle Creek Michigan around the dawn of the
20th century.  Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, inventor of corn flakes and other
health foods, set up a sanitarium, or what we would now call a health spa,
where patients were subjected to a rigorous diet and exercise program to
help them regain their health.  All around Kellogg's facility, "doctors" set
up therapeutic institutions where they practiced "pelvic massage" on the
well-to-do ladies.  This all went on without Dr. Kellogg's knowledge, and
certainly without his approval.  Perhaps he wondered why the clients tended
to return from their day shopping with a rosy cheeked glow, and why they
were so eager to return year after year.

In any case, there is an excellent movie made from the book, with Anthony
Hopkins, Matthew Broderick, and Dana Carvey in one of his rare semi-drama
roles (he is excellent in that.)  They advertise Wellville as a comedy, but
if so, it is more of a subtle PG Wodehouse style comedy rather than Saturday
Night Live style slapstick.  Even then, it would be a rare example of
historically-accurate comedy:

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1089667353/

Note: this trailer isn't a good representation of the film.  I get the
feeling the makers of this ad didn't actually view it, but rather just fast
forwarded to the sexy parts and did some cut and paste.

I find JH Kellogg an interesting character, because he was so experimental,
so far ahead of his time.  He was a proto-extropian.