[ExI] Capitalism, anti capitalism, emotional arousal

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Nov 11 23:00:46 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins

>.Nor does capitalism of necessity lead to such bromides and the "rich get
richer and the poor get poorer".

Ja.  Since China went functionally capitalist, Chinese doctors have been
seeing a rash of obesity and related diseases, a sharp rise in diabetes,
etc, what they refer to as rich man's syndrome because it is their upper
class which gets these.  But note that all these things are what kills poor
people in the US: the puzzling argument is they are too poor to afford a
proper diet, so they eat cheap high fat foods.  So Chinese doctors come to
the states to study our poor man's syndrome in order to learn how to treat
their rich man's syndrome.   America has some of the richest poor people in
the world.

In capitalism, the rich get richer, and the poor get richer.  Granted the
rich get waaay richer, faster, but the poor get richer too.

This is a very important point once you look at what the poor can have.  For
the most part, they can have houses.  Granted they are not as nice as the
rich peoples' houses, but they have them.  And the American poor have food.
They generally have cars, even if not very good ones.  And TVs.  Most of the
people occupying Oakland have homes somewhere.

>.  So to blame Capitalism is enough to make my blood boil.  - samantha

It need not.  If a system mostly works, it doesn't need defending.  The
local business people who are suffering from the Oakland occupation need
defending, but capitalism does not.  Capitalism can defend itself.  No blood
boiling required.  Criticize away, show me a better way, and we will
eventually evolve into that.

spike

Over my limit today, see you tomorrow.