[ExI] apple mothership

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Sep 14 15:43:56 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Amon Zero
Subject: Re: [ExI] apple mothership

2011/9/13 spike <spike66 at att.net>

Speaking of which, atheist evolution-hipsters need something equivalent to a
prayer or blessing, without the superstition.  I don't know what it is, or
how to do something like that, but I am open to suggestion from the creative
minds here. spike

>.I agree entirely. I will also add that any "spiritual" aspect of
transhumanism needn't be dry and flavourless just to overcompensate for a
lack of superstition.- A

I am against this problem a lot.  I am in a motorcycle internet group.
Sunday one of our best guys had a pickup truck turn left in front of him,
hit the grill at about 60 mph.  So far he's lost a leg, a kidney, a spleen,
broken both arms, plenty of other internal injuries including bleeding
inside his brain, but he is still breathing.  His daughter set up a website,
in which scores of people have posted well-wishes.  Of course most of them
say they are praying for him.  This I flatly refuse to do.  I am fairly good
with language, and I am very fluent in the language and thought patterns of
the believers, but there just isn't a very good way to write around the
central issue of prayer.  In those circumstances, any atheist-generated note
of encouragement is conspicuous.

Someone somewhere must have solved this problem, for it must be common.