[ExI] Manning and Assange

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 22:02:19 UTC 2012

On 22 August 2012 19:04, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not that clear cut.  The oath (undertaking) for military service
> requires you to obey *lawful* orders.  If a military superior ordered
> you to keep quiet about a murder is that a lawful order?  Was the
> Baghdad airstrike (known as "Collateral Murder") in that class?
> It's worth reviewing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Calley

This, from a lawyerly POV, is a more sensible argument.

> If attention motivates Julian Assange, what do
> you expect?  Is that different in any way from what motivates
> President Obama?  If so, how?

I thought just the same about the insistence of some posts about the
"narcissic" profile of Julian Assange. Hey, what's the big deal? I am a
narcissic myself, and I do not like the implicitly discriminatory
connotation of the way the term was employed. :-)

> However, that process has almost eliminated the former prime objection
> to propulsion lasers.  If governments (particularly the US) already
> have the ability and consider it normal to extra judicially kill
> people anywhere, then GW propulsion lasers don't introduce anything
> new.

And this is a significant silver lining in all that affair. :-)

--
Stefano Vaj