[ExI] Another step towards "real" nanotech

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 17:36:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Steady progress.  New discoveries are exciting and all, but steady
> progress is the meat and potatoes.  And whipping those unruly
> nanotubes into uniform legions of actual nano-components,... I'm
> impressed.  Pleased more than impressed, really.  Knew it was coming.
> Just had to wait,... patiently.  And here it is.  Bingo, I'm pleased.
> What's next?  Okay, well maybe it's not all that big.  Nano worship?
> Maybe a little of that, too.
>
> Wish it was a mechanism with moving parts, and not just an electronic component.

I thought it was cool for the sake of being high-tech.  I don't
understand the implication of what real-world uses it will bring.  Are
we talking about a potential computing platform (CPU, etc.) or a new
textile (for solar panels, nano-construction, w/e) or a coating to
improve the function of other items (possibly also solar panels, or
reducing friction on ship hulls, or nonstick coating on
cookware/porcelain/etc)

I like to see the public announcements of super-cool new tech and
imagine where I should be investing in companies that turn those ideas
into profitable products - so where do you think this tech is likely
to impact the market?  (because by the time a product is actually
ready to market, the early-investment opportunity has passed)