[ExI] olympic opening ceremonies

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Jul 28 12:26:13 UTC 2012

Seeing Brunel and his team of dancing victorian engineers was great fun.

"Isambard Kingdom Brunel was like the Wolverine of the early
Victorians.  He was short, ripped, had big sideburns, smoked 50 cigars a
day, AND KICKED EVERYONE'S ASS!!"
-2D goggles

C.f. http://sydneypadua.com/2dgoggles/talk-to-the-hand/

On 28/07/2012 04:46, spike wrote:
> Brits, may evolution save the queen.  I hope your athletes win a pile
> of medals, a tall, wide and deep pile of them.

Evolution save the queen? That actually makes sense. Britain seems to be
based on the meta-principle that you are allowed to add new stuff as
long as you keep all the old. Layer upon layer, just like how evolution
builds organisms by exapting previous systems and adding superstructures
on top of them. Hence weird things like the City of London being a
10,000 inhabitant town inside the city *called* London, with a special
representative in parliament  and voting rights for medieval guilds and
corporations. Or Oxford University, built on institutions that were
originally monastic lodging-houses and kept together by a library and a
shared distrust of the townspeople. Or that Magdalen Street is not
pronounced "Magdalen" but "Maudlin" - but the church on it, St.
Magdalen, has the normal pronounciation...

Of course the downside is that all the existing weirdness constrains the
functionality of anything new. I doubt we are ever going to see good
railway services or plumbing here since they have to follow the patterns
set by early pioneers. But the cool thing about a seriously retrofitted
society is that everything is unique and complicated... which is of
course also a major annoyance.

(As for myself, I think I feel about as British as I feel Swedish... I'm
probably just an internationalist with a fondness for north-west Europe. )

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute