[ExI] h+ in smithsonian

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Mar 19 13:06:52 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 3:16 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] h+ in smithsonian

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Natasha Vita-More wrote:
> I think she must have gotten this from some person she interviewed and
> paraphrased it without quoting who said it.

>Yes, it is probably just artistic interpretation.

The writer is not an artist. She is a science journalist for the
Smithsonian.

>This article is only a short pop introduction to transhumanism.

Yes, all too short.

>When a writer uses the phrase 'morally obligated' they don't usually intend
to get into a discussion of all the different
>systems of morality and which applies / drives the current subject.

I know she interviewed 5 people and some are into "morality" of
transhumanism, so that is where I would go for questions. Email her and ask
why she says this. But let's not trash the entire article because someone
put this thought in her head.  Go to the utilitarian transhumanists and
discuss/debate this understanding with them.

Natasha