[ExI] bees again

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:39:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, honey is such a nutritional horror that it really represents the
> exception to the general rule-of-the-thumb rule that you are quite fine if
> you feed yourself only with what could be eaten unprocessed and in a
> paleolithic context.

Firstly, honey isn't that bad. See:

  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-honey-a-safer-sweetener/

Secondly, if you have to harvest honey like a paleolith, I doubt it's going
to be a major source of food. An occasional treat, sure. But not something
that  contributes a significant fraction of the yearly caloric intake.

Thirdly, the primary contribution of bees to humanity is not a producer of
honey, it's as a pollinator. The US gov't may be doing a favor for BigChem
by not banning neonicotinoids, but their buddies at ADM, Cargill, etc.
won't be happy if the be decline isn't reversed soon.

-Dave