[ExI] battle tanks to a five yr old

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon May 7 11:56:04 UTC 2012

On 7 May 2012 01:54, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>  When I was his age, we knew a lot about warfare I think.  I notice none
> of the neighborhood kids play battle of any sort now, no cowboys and
> Indians, no 'Muricans vs Commies, nothing of the kind.  It just occurred to
> me today their world is a lot freer of conflict than I recall of my own
> misspent childhood.  Dare we hope that armed conflict will gradually fade
> away?

I believe that the US started what? Eight or ten wars after the end of the
Cold War and once the "end of conflicts" had been announced?

So, I am inclined to believe that the lack of toy weapons, battle games,
etc. amongst contemporary children, are largely dependent on a cultural
climate which are theoretically very hostile to all that and is in denial
with regard to the practical realities out there.

OTOH, it seems that the same thing is overcompensated if anything by the
very dominant "war" and "warrior" themes in videogames, from Ninja Gaiden
to Call of Duty, where commercial profits easily trump political
correctness, and the use of virtual avatars perhaps prepare the average
western citizens to their later use of actual mercenaries and drones for
the umpleasant parts, such as little comfort and personal risk, in armed
conflicts.

--
Stefano Vaj