[ExI] Bad news for US customers of Intrade

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 09:40:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki
<rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> ### Ah, well, this helps me understand your position on my voting
> preferences. Believing that Frank-Dodd does more good than harm is a
> part of a more general pattern - you expect individual lives to be
> controlled by representatives of the community (for which you
> substitute functionaries of the government), i.e. your set of opinions
> seems to imply you see the community as ascendant over each and every
> individual.

Incorrect.  I see the community as a collective good that each
and every individual within it takes part in.  But to describe it as
"ascendant" implies that it somehow has a will of its own,
independent of the people who make it up.

Further, your use of "controlled" there implies absolute control,
which I definitely do not agree with.  But neither do I agree with
zero control - i.e., anarchy - unless a realistic way can be
implemented to prevent it from quickly turning into despotism,
as it has so far every time it's been tried.

If you could find a way to implement anarchy that would actually
stay an anarchy for, say, at least a century, I might support it.  I
am not aware of any such proposals that are remotely feasible
this side of the Singularity, other than reducing human population
within the area in question to below minimum viable levels, and I
do not generally favor human extinction.