[ExI] Bad news for US customers of Intrade

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 06:31:48 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 4:40 AM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki
> <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ### Ah, well, this helps me understand your position on my voting
>> preferences. Believing that Frank-Dodd does more good than harm is a
>> part of a more general pattern - you expect individual lives to be
>> controlled by representatives of the community (for which you
>> substitute functionaries of the government), i.e. your set of opinions
>> seems to imply you see the community as ascendant over each and every
>> individual.
>
> Incorrect.  I see the community as a collective good that each
> and every individual within it takes part in.  But to describe it as
> "ascendant" implies that it somehow has a will of its own,
> independent of the people who make it up.

### Well, no, it only means you consistently favor communitarian,
centralized control over distributed control - you demand that I vote
or shut up instead of trading and arguing, you demand that bureaucrats
have to control individual securities trades rather than letting
market participants make their own decisions. In your world people
have to act through gatekeepers of power (elected officials, unelected
bureaucrats) rather than through individual acts of trade.

--------------------

> Further, your use of "controlled" there implies absolute control,
> which I definitely do not agree with.  But neither do I agree with
> zero control - i.e., anarchy - unless a realistic way can be
> implemented to prevent it from quickly turning into despotism,
> as it has so far every time it's been tried.

### In all encounters with me so far you have taken the side of more
government control of our lives, compared to what we have now (there
is a duty to vote, there is no right to trade securities etc.).

In other words, AFAIK, you are not against uncontrolled anarchy, you
are for (much more) government.

Do you see the crucial difference between the two positions?

Rafal