[ExI] A step from humanoid to cyborg

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Sep 18 11:28:36 UTC 2012

On 18/09/2012 11:39, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> One prob is that even, say, on the Italian H+ list resistance to
> animal experimentation is growing. So, either we start using humans
> directly and contribute to the universe's happiness by sparing
> innumerable mice and monkeys, or we risk to be restricted to
> simulations...

Well, please tell the list that in order to get simulations worth
anything, we will have to do a lot more animal experimentation. In the
long run it will of course mean just a finite number of animals are used
before we all run simulations, but in practice calibrating simulations
takes a lot of experimental data, so in the short term there will be
much animal use.

And if you are an uploader, using too advanced sims is of course just as
unacceptable as using real animals. There are some curious issues, since
you can resurrect killed animals, but if suffering is the issue then
good simulations are not acceptable. Which leaves the problem of telling
when a reduced or partial simulation produces relevant data, or produces
enough of a mind/consciousness/whatever to lead to ethical quandaries.
(I work on a paper on this)

I wonder, suppose the only way we could truly improve the human
condition long-term involved an unavoidable quantity of suffering of
innocents. What amount of suffering would then morally preclude
attempting this improvement? Deontological systems might have a rather
firm answer on that, likely concluding that it is impermissible to
become posthuman, no matter how good that state is, if it requires
impermissible acts. Total utilitarians are fine with any finite amount
of suffering if we can get super-benefits that outweigh it. The really
weird things happen if you start considering war ethics, where people
analyse how you should act if you are thrust into a situation where
acting immorally is unavoidable: could this kind of reasoning apply to
the current human condition (we are being killed by the world, and our
physiology forces us to subsist on living beings), and imply that one
should "fight" ones way out of it as morally as possible?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute