[ExI] A step from humanoid to cyborg

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 10:36:09 UTC 2012

On 18 September 2012 13:28, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Well, please tell the list that in order to get simulations worth
> anything, we will have to do a lot more animal experimentation.

Hey, as far as I am concerned, you are preaching to the converted. But,
besides people who even in transhumanist ranks are simply influenced by a
growingly hypersensitive and emotional climate on the subject, see Sergio
Tarrero, my ZS-friend David Pearce, etc.

I wonder, suppose the only way we could truly improve the human condition
> long-term involved an unavoidable quantity of suffering of innocents.

In fact, contrary to many platitudes regarding suffering, empathy for any
entity on which a human can hallucinate his or her internal states is quite
natural ("ethological") in healthy, non-pathological individuals, and what
historical ethical systems have mostly to say on the subject is when one
would be morally obligated to ignore and resist it.

--
Stefano Vaj