[ExI] Nootropics and Anders

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 27 17:25:31 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2013 4:07 AM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Subject: Re: [ExI] Nootropics and Anders

On 2013-12-27 00:50, spike wrote:

This information on these various medications is good to know...

>.Hehehe... kinky neurochemistry.

>."Please, modafinil is *so* vanilla! I like to tie up my cerebrum with some
glycine receptor blocker, and then I do zazen meditation to repeatedly whack
out my reticular nucleus attention system. Take that, gap junctions!" :-)

>.Of course, some kinds of coffee are already close to whips and chains -
looks at his very black cup...

--
Dr Anders Sandberg

We need some kind of objective measure of mental accuracy and activity, even
if it doesn't compare one person with another, but rather only comparing the
same person from various times.

Many of us here have astonished ourselves at how variable is our creative
skills.  There are days in which I have thought up several cool ideas.
Other times long spans of time pass between innovative notions.  There are
other variations, such as doing something so stupid we amaze even ourselves.
An example would be one of my recent blockhead maneuvers: picking up a
coffee cup without noticing it was upside down, then pouring in the coffee,
with predictable results.  I thought I checked it, but that time I just blew
it.

Being a chess player, I have the option of speed chess on the tablet
computer.  I can record results in several games and the times on both
clocks, which is better than nothing as an objective measure of mental
activity.  One problem I can imagine is that there are different kinds of
intelligence.  The day I was doing extremely well with the chess program was
the same day I poured hot coffee all over the damn place with the upside
down cup.