[ExI] [Exl] Digital Consciousness

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat May 4 03:47:24 UTC 2013

Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> But this is an unreasonable claim. Even if it turns out to be true it

> is an unreasonable claim, because you make it with the certainty of an
> a priori proof.

I don't claim absolute certainty about anything, but I do have an idea what consciousness is even if I don't understand the biological mechanisms that produce it. I also understand the architecture of digital computers well enough to look at them and see that whatever makes this thing I call consciousness, it sure does not look like a digital computer can do it.

(I'm careful to almost always preface "computer" with adjective "digital"  because I do believe the brain can be understood as a type of computer. Just not a digital one.)

More broadly, my arguments should be seen as a refutation of a certain theory in the philosophy of mind, namely the computational model. Lots of people think the way I do on these subjects. You just won't find many of them on ExI.

Gordon