[ExI] Kripke is in trouble!

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun May 12 13:39:05 UTC 2013

On 8 May 2013 19:02, Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Most grammarians are aware of the controversy surrounding the sentence
> adverb "Hopefully," as in "Hopefully, I will win the lottery." It has
> become common usage such that the AP style guide, as of a few months ago,
> permits it. Other style guides still advise against it. The AP's approval
> of "Hopefully" irritates my friend as he always instructed his students to
> avoid not only "Hopefully," but all sentence adverbs. "Fortunately, I won
> the lottery" should be written "I am fortunate to have won the lottery."

Hoffentlich o auspicabilmente refer to what my hopes are, but hopefully
literally refers to my quality of being full of hope, and thus it is pretty
clear why it should be avoided in this sense, and limited to sentence such
as "they were awaiting hopefully a rescue attempt".

But what's wrong with sentence adverbrs, let alone adverbs tout court?

--
Stefano Vaj