[ExI] More Fermi Paradox

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed May 15 09:12:36 UTC 2013

On 15/05/2013 09:16, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> This doesn't compute, if you want to maximize computation before
> universe winds itself down. So you'd go for a hard relativistic
> expansion as early as possible, in order to get hold of as much
> spacetime as possible before inflation makes most of it inaccessible.

It looks like the primary thing is being born early: then you can grab a
lot more, since the expansion was slower in the past and things were
closer together. Old civs have a huge advantage. In the present era,
speed beats starting time: in our calculations we found that getting an
increment in speed was worth delaying starting for. If I remember right,
going from 90% to 99% was worth a million year delay - in the end, that
is a very small delay compared to the travel time.

> You'd then maximize the computation utilization in order to render as
> many experience-moments as possible, until the final curtain. Aiming
> for anything less guarantees a half-assed job.

It all depends on what the ultimate goal is. If it is experience-moments
or pleasure, then spread far and wide and convert everything to
computronium or hedonium. If the goal requires a cohesive big mind for a
long time, then you only need a supercluster - the other stuff will
become causally disconnected and cannot be part of your big mind.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute