[ExI] Fashion

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat May 18 10:24:56 UTC 2013

On 17/05/2013 12:26, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> I think one could capture a lot of simple rules as a kind of
> satisfiability problem. For example, you want your colors to match. ...

Here is a simple example, a list of rules of
thumb:
http://lifehacker.com/this-cheat-sheet-teaches-you-how-to-match-shirt-and-tie-507540764
The rules stated would be:

"Dominant shirt colour must be present in tie pattern"
"Bonus/penalty if tie is darker/lighter than shirt"
"Correlation length of shirt pattern should be dissimilar to correlation
length of tie pattern"
"Width of tie should be within X% of shirt collar and jacket lapel"

I'm pretty certain I could program these into a constraint satisfaction
system fairly easily, assuming the data was given.

(the tie dimple and length advice are essentially instructions for how
to tie the tie, and equate to a choice of knot and, based on that, a
starting position along the tie. The resulting tie length is mainly due
to the knot type and can be precalculated. There is a whole
nano-subfield of knot theory about tie knots, where I hope to get a
publication later this year...)

Of course, this is all about fairly standard business wear. It doesn't
tell you when to wear your sarong (although no doubt there are
Indonesian fashion experts who could add those rules). And context
matters: when giving a television interview, avoid high frequency
stripes (less of a problem now, but once tended to cause major flicker).

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute