[ExI] id theft in o-care

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 10:32:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Who are "they"? The government as a whole may "know" everything, but within
> each compartment it might be impossible to get all relevant data together.
> The DMV cannot just ask the NSA for a current photo of you.

<snip>
> Government-sceptical Americans seem to have undue faith in how well
> governments actually work.
>
> (But badly managed sites that can be hacked should be a concern)

Yes, it is well-known that government databases are full of errors and
out-of-date data. The same applies to most large company databases,
police. local government, etc.

That is a significant problem with 'big data'. But it is a known
problem and efforts are being made to cross-check, link and
consolidate data files.

This is not always to the advantage of the people. If you are trying
to get a licence or passport from the government and they cannot
confirm your details (or even have you recorded as dead!) then you
have a problem.

Another problem is when organisations ask you for information that
they already know. The reason is not that the knowledge is in another
department. They want to see if you are going to try to give false
information. When you fill up an application form it is cross-checked
all over the place. If your name and address is not in the census
records or phone book, etc. then you are very likely to get your
application refused, or at least queried.

What always makes me smile is the constant harassment from banks to
try to get me to change to paperless (online) monthly bank statements.
Yet if you try to open a bank account the first thing they will ask
for is a recent bank statement from your present bank!

BillK