[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 4 22:41:43 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-04 21:47, Will Steinberg wrote:

> Maybe try and learn more about the universe by studying native
> Hawaiian religion.  Especially cosmogonies. I've found that religions
> around the world tend to retain a similar universal origin story that
> is very compelling, abstract, and similar to the scientific perspective.

Yes, my ancestors figured out that the world was created when fire and
ice mixed. Then a giant cow emerged from the nothingness, licking a
giant from the ice. When he was murdered the current world was built
from the carcass. Clouds are pieces of brain. Just like in current science.

> Side question, I wonder, when did humans start having sex like
> today--passionately, and with with the pleasure of both parties
> considered?

There is actually some research on this. One relevant paper is Eastwick,
P. W. (2009). Beyond the pleistocene: using phylogeny and constraint to
inform the evolutionary psychology of human mating. /Psychological
bulletin/, 135(5), 794.
http://pauleastwick.com/s/Eastwick2009PBull.pdf
which suggests you should expect it to have emerged in /Homo erectus/
about 2 mya.

Basically, the IMHO dominant view in the field is that romantic love is
a “commitment device” for motivating pair-bonding in humans. We need it
beyond the normal mammalian mothering instincts/maternal-child bonding
because of the long infancy requires reliable two parent rearing, and
evolution likely exapted the maternal-child bonding system into a
pair-bonding system between the parents.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute