[ExI] Fwd: Paper on "Detecting Qualia" presentation at 2015 MTA conference

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 04:04:59 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015  Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com> wrote:

>> Humans can see about 10 million colors, beyond that 2 colors are too
>> similar for us to tell apart. If a transhuman wished to have better color
>> discrimination he would need to see more than 10 million colors, and so
>> obviously he would subjectively experience more colors than we do.
>>

> > You forgot to include: "and yes, once I experience these new colors, as
> Brent's theory predicts, much of my thinking would be falsified.

How do figure that? I never claimed that the amount of color of color
discrimination that humans have is as good as it could get, and if
something can discriminate between more that 10 million colors then
obviously they need more labels than we do, that is to say they can see
colors that we can not. I have absolutely no problem with that.

> > Including my surprize that I can experience this new blue in a dark room
> with no light at all.

I always knew that if you sat in a dark room and closed you eyes and
applied pressure to your close eyelids you see colors. So what am I
supposed to be surprised about?

> >boy, it was a complete waste of time to ever talk about light,

And I said more than once that REDNESS and electromagnetic radiation with a
620 NM wavelength were NOT the same thing. And I'm not unusual, I don't
think anybody believes they are the same, except perhaps for some men of
straw.

  John K Clark