[ExI] Zombie glutamate

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 16:31:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015  Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The being had a working visual cortex, how could it be blind?
>

> > Because the visual cortex is perfectly functional according to any test
> you do on it but lacks consciousness.

You're eyeball isn't conscious, or at least I don't think it is; does that
mean that you are blind?

> >> I'm still not seeing what's absurd.
>

> > If it is possible to separate consciousness from function

And I don't think that is possible but can't prove it, but I'll assume it
can be done for the sake of argument.

> > then it is  possible to make a visual cortex that has normal function
> but lacks consciousness,

You don't need to assume it is possible to separate consciousness from
function for that to be possible. I don't believe my visual cortex alone is
conscious, nor do I think any one particular neuron in my brain is
conscious. One water molecule is not wet but the Pacific Ocean is, one
neuron is not conscious but 100 billion of them can be if they're wired up
so that the network behaves intelligently.

> > if you put it into your brain you would lack all visual perception

No you wouldn't.

> > but function normally

Yes.

> > and believe you could see normally.

And you'd be correct, you could see normally.

> > That would be absurd - I think you have agreed.

No, I never agreed with that.

 > The conscious comes as a necessary side-effect, whether you want it
> there or not.

I'd bet my life that's true, but I can't prove it.

  John K Clark