[ExI] Transhumanist/sf themed tabletop games

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Feb 27 17:13:13 UTC 2015

John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> , 27/2/2015 12:31 PM:

Jay, as familiar as I am with Ander's work, I did not know a number of the items you adroitly pointed out.  And it should not surprise me that he has a White Wolf Games Mage Page, because I can easily envision him as a wizard, constantly puttering around in his inner sanctum! lol

Well, I am a researcher at Hogwarts after all :-)  (Which reminds me, I ought to get myself a proper Oxford gown to show off my wizardness to my brother's kids)

Mage was great, especially when it dared to allow truly weird possibilities in the earlier editions.

However, transhumanism can show up in odd environments. After all, it is a kind of mindset. I was in a fantasy campaign where the heroes were essentially building a transhumanist fantasy kingdom - magic misused in the right way allow a lot of cool stuff (the most bizarre was the skeleton-powered factories programmed in COBOL).

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University