[ExI] SETI for Post Singularity Civs

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 16 04:01:54 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Flexman, Connor
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:24 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] SETI for Post Singularity Civs

>…Thanks! Mathematical physics student at Brown, discovered LessWrong about a year ago, and the futurism ideas took off from there. Been just lurking around the community mostly, but after absorbing so much I'm considering next steps toward working in the field or just contributing via the idea exchange you guys have built up pretty well.

Ja, Less Wrong is written by Eliezer Yudkowsky as you know.  He began hanging out with us when he was in his mid-teens, in about 1995.  He told us about himself, but of course Eliezer has the curse of Cassandra: he tells the truth always but the story sounds wildly implausible.  That a 16 yr old would write with the depth and breadth he did then strained the imagination.

In about 1997, we were having a gathering of the usual suspects in Sunnyvale and he was scheduled to attend.  I don’t recall if it was Extropians or Foresight Institute, or one of the other parallel organizations.  Damien Broderick suspected the whole thing was a trick: that he was really a math teacher/grandmother from Passadena.  Up he shows, sure enough teenager, still wearing the yarmulke first time we met him, projecting exactly the same way in the meat world as he does online.  Later he moved into the neighborhood, and still lives here last I saw him which has been a couple years now.