[ExI] Why we are teaching science wrong, and how to make it right

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 17:00:01 UTC 2015

We think of the military as perhaps the most conservative and traditional
segments of modern society with the education institution being the most
progressive.  I am seeing clear evidence that it is exactly the opposite.

Spike, education is very progressive, if you define that as getting into
new things.  Trouble is, the quality of the research they do is poor to
very poor.  I have been to educational research conferences to see some of
my students present papers (as it is the easiest venue - harder at
psychology conferences), and the level is just shocking (not the students,
the professors/researchers).  The questions after a paper presentation are
almost always laudatory and hardly even critical.  Of course I had to try
to nail some of them on poor research and never got a good response.
Mostly they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

So a lot of bad theory gets into classroom teaching when in fact they were
better off doing what they were doing.  They just love new theories and
don't seem to care much about the backbones of it.

I'd like to see some of what you found.

bill w