[ExI] Cosmopolitanism, collective epistemology and other issues

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 22:12:16 UTC 2016

On Aug 4, 2016 12:25 PM, "Anders" <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> Here is an interesting article by Jonathan Haidt synthesizing sociology,
moral psychology and other approaches into an interesting picture of why we
are currently seeing a big rise in "raise the drawbridge"
conservatism/authoritarianism:

http://www.the-american-interest.com/2016/07/10/when-and-why-nationalism-beats-globalism/

> In the US the gay marriage and trans bathroom brouhaha also fits this
model. Basically, it is about a reaction to a normative threat.

> The essay has some interesting suggestions for tagging down the debate,
basically calling for a reframing of multiculturalism.

I wonder if calls for immigrants to respect our laws more - and opening a
"work to earn your visa", where an unlimited number of immigrants could do
extra labor helping pay for their assimilation which labor would also
demonstrate their assimilation - might help reduce fears of immigrants.

Even if we respect others' way of living, everyone must obey the same
laws.  (Thus the attempts to use laws to legislate inappropriate things.
Shift energy away from that and toward enforcing existing laws.  For
example, more enforcement of rape laws means less cases where abortion is
even considered.)