[ExI] Our Ageing World

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Aug 15 17:09:45 UTC 2016

Subject: Re: [ExI] Our Ageing World

On Aug 14, 2016 10:04 AM, "Anders Sandberg" <anders at aleph.se <mailto:anders at aleph.se> > wrote:
> >… have the ability to interact at least to some extent with people, be able to use force in a graduated form (if the only option is to shoot people when you are trying to stop a possibly domestic quarrel, you are going to be in trouble soon)…Anders

Ja!  My bride is a direct descendant of a Los Angeles cop who was slain in the line of duty on a domestic quarrel call, in 1925.  Those are every cop’s least favorite calls: they don’t know who is the bad guy, don’t know who is going pop out and shoot.  Taking a domestic quarrel call is hazardous duty, every cop knows.  They would rather take a robbery in progress call.  Perfect application for a Robocop.

You have probably seen this already, but consider how far we have come in just the past couple years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

Now imagine every cop going around with one of these in the trunk or the passenger side seat.  Goes on a domestic disturbance call with a taser, sticky foam, tear gas (or skunk fluid (hey, that’s an idea for non-lethal deterrence to get the proles out of the house)) multiple redundant cameras, microphones and so on.  It isn’t even clear to me that it would need to carry a sidearm necessarily (and really. It is better if it didn’t (might be scary as hell if it did (and could even add new catchphrases to our street vernacular (such as Freeze, Carbon Unit! and Don’t taze me Robo!))))

Slightly entertaining aside: a big hazard when cops go on a domestic: the family dog is scared and confused: mom is screaming and beating up dad, or vice versa, Rover doesn’t know what the hell to do.  Then a third person shows up uninvited, menacing.  The inner Doberman does what he does best, with a clear target and purpose.  So how would Mister McBowser react when C3Cop-O shows up?  I just thought it funny to imagine it, his going for the jugular and finding there isn’t one.  Evolution has completely let him down.  His psyche might never quite recover from the shock.

>… A substantial fraction of the failures of the replacement Iraqi governments is clearly and directly attributable to their continuing to act in tribal and corrupt ways.  (Yes, Spike, far more corrupt than Hillary.  Such a thing is possible.  You might want to read up on how they failed.)… Adrian

Oh my, ja.  Consider the situation in Haiti.  The US and other countries sent billions in relief funds.  Now we are hearing no one knows where most of the money went.  Missing in action, still unaccounted for.  The USA is in the minor leagues in the corruption department, depending on how it is counted: percentage of funds missing: minor league.  Total amount of funds: top of the majors.  American voters seem to be clamoring for more corruption.

What bothers me most is that we appear to be in a critical transition time to an openly corrupt government.  At some point Germany’s government did that, and we can pin it to a specific week: 30 June to 2 July 1934.  The results were bad.

Robo-cops do keep cops safer however.  It is reasonable to expect them to be deployed soon.  Any speculation on how that will work?

spike

Don't forget the (re)education tech, so those in power can learn how to rule as the occupiers wish.  A substantial fraction of the failures of the replacement Iraqi governments is clearly and directly attributable to their continuing to act in tribal and corrupt ways.

(Yes, Spike, far more corrupt than Hillary.  Such a thing is possible.  You might want to read up on how they failed.)

As to roboinfantry, look to the progress of powered battlesuits.  Once they're working, the next step is to run them via remote control.  The main limitation so far is power supply, but without the person inside they could carry a lot more fuel.