[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 02:39:41 UTC 2016

James,

After thinking about this for a year or more, and hearing your's and
Stathis' comments (in his post he asked: "Yes, but do you agree that
despite the silicon-based comparator neurone you describe being
physically different, the rest of the brain will function exactly the
same?")

I think I have a better understanding of your logic in these complaints.

The way the substitution would feel as the substitution wave traversed
across the brain would be highly dependent on the type of binding
mechanism the brain employed to bind all of this knowledge together so
we can be aware of the physical quality of it it all at once.  When we
look at a strawberry we are aware of a 3D model of the strawberry.  We
can split the image up into 3D voxel elements, and we are aware of the
quality of each voxel element on the surface of the strawberry and the
leaves, again all at the same time.  So lets say that there is one
neuron that represents each voxel element, firing on all it's downstream
synapses with glutamate when representing the surface of the
strawberry.  It would take much more than a single neuron to bind all
this together, including the semantic information that it all represents
a red strawberry.... but let's just imagine that the binding system is
one single awareness neuron for simplicity purposes.  This large neuron
needs to have an upstream synapse touching each of these actual
knowledge voxel neurons, each firing - some with glutamate and some with
glycene.  Otherwise, it couldn't be aware of the entire thing all at
once.  Steven Lehar postulates that this knowledge is neurons firing in
standing wave patterns, so maybe this large single neuron aware of the
physical quality of all our knowledge representation neurons is
coordinating the firing pattern of all of these neurons so they fire in
a standing wave or something.

Anyway, the point being is that if you could do the entire binding
process with one neuron, it would function the same as James is
demanding when you replace it.  When you replace the one large binding
neuron, only then could you replace all the upstream neurons and
translators producing glutamate.  But of course, everyone would know
this was only functionally the same - both interpreting the very
different physical representations as if they were red.  But the binding
system probably isn't a single neuron, so there may be some type of
possible wave, during the substitution, for which the system would not
behave the same - saying that that glutamate is nothing like a positive
voltage.

Brent

I tried to explain that it wouldn't be identical behavior, until the
entire substitution