[ExI] (no subject)

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:07:03 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM, CryptAxe <cryptaxe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The exhaled vapor appears white because of vegetable glycerin. I don't
>> think it's nearly as dangerous as actual smoke based on my personal
>> experience. Actual smoke leaves behind tars, are there any studies showing
>> that vapor of any kind produces the same toxic tar byproducts?
>>

> http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm173146.htm
> http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/23/suppl_2/ii11.full
> http://www.restek.com/pdfs/ecigvaporposter.pdf
>
> among others.  (The FDA's is, IMO, the weakest of these three - but again,
> these three are far from all.)
>
> It is difficult to make blanket statements with high degrees of precision
> because of the high variance from any one e-cig to another, even in the
> same make and brand (which itself is a problem: they're selling a
> garbage-quality product), but what is consistent is bad enough.

### To the contrary, it's easy to make blanket statements with high degree
of confidence. The levels of toxic substances in vapes are usually orders
of magnitude lower than in tobacco smoke. The references you adduce provide
no information in support of FDA's attack on vapes. The BMJ article
summarizes the low reliability of research on vapes, the FDA memo shows the
nicotine used in vapes is distilled from tobacco, and the third one shows
actually a reasonably good level of precision in labeling of nicotine
content of vapes. Diethylene glycol at 1%? Ah the horror! This would result
in a 10 mg of daily dose, or 1/10 000th of a deadly dose!

Also, you are engaging in manipulative rhetoric ("garbage-quality
product"). Try not to give garbage references next time.

Rafał