[ExI] The fraudulent claims made by IBM about Watson and AI

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue May 31 01:48:56 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 3:21 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To take just one of your examples, what would you say if Watson did
> conclude that if your friend was buying a lot of sleeping pills suicide was
> a possibility? Would that be evidence of understanding? Would *anything*
> that Watson said be evidence of understanding?

To be clear, that article was written by Roger Schank, not me. One
run-of-the-mill "insight" like that wouldn't be very convincing to me. If I
could have a conversation with Watson and see that it was an actual insight
and not just a lucky Google hit that would be pretty impressive. When/if
real artificial intelligence does come along, some people are going to
believe it immediately, some people will never believe it, but the vast
majority will accept it over time.

The fact that we're playing "what if" games about behaviors that Watson
doesn't exhibit kind of confirms Schank's point that it's not there yet.

-Dave