[ExI] statins

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 12:13:13 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10 September 2016 at 05:02, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Yes, I'm extremely skeptical of claims that a man-made drug is safe and
>> effective for a problem that is basically due to poor diet and lack of
>> exercise.
>>

> Why would you be sceptical for that reason? Would you be more likely to
> accept, for example, that drugs could be helpful for a problem that has a
> genetic basis?

Because problems due to poor lifestyle choices should first be treated by
correcting the cause of the problem. "Just take this pill" is too easy for
doctors to prescribe and patients to believe. Statins aren't the equivalent
of a healthy lifestyle in a pill. For people for whom lifestyle changes
have failed, sure, they're better than nothing.

-Dave