[ExI] diabetes

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:14:30 UTC 2016

If our trust in doctors is so poor, why do we believe them when they tell
us that the tests are OK and no health problems were highlighted. Surely we
should treat an 'All clear' with just as much suspicion?  bill k

I agree completely and think I have the answer, which I posted a short time
ago:  the medical profession is conservative - first, do no harm.  Next,
follow standard practice unless you want a lot of law suits.  My take is
that legal problems, or the anticipation of them, are driving a lot of
modern medicine.  My wife was booted out of her physician's practice and
put in a pain management clinic where they are treating her as a drug
addict and are not 'managing' her pain.  She is now in a practice that does
not prescribe opiates at all:  one million dollars a year in insurance if
they do.

So while being conservative has likely kept quacks out of the profession it
also fails to adopt new technologies and drugs (often available in Germany,
btw, or in clinical trials, if you can beg your way into one).  The other
problem is that they are afraid to admit that they have bought ideas that
weren't fully tested and in effect have lied to the public about what works
and what doesn't.  They are being forced to accept that a low fat diet is a
poor choice for the treatment of anything.

So, Bill K, you are correct:  a diagnosis of nothing wrong can kill you.
If you have symptoms that they dismiss, get a second opinion and maybe a
third.  Plenty of people have died because of not getting these.  Medical
mistakes, according to one source (?) I read lately, kill 100,000 people a
year, which includes those who got their illness while in the hospital, as
mentioned earlier.

bill w