[ExI] Cryonics Alexandre Erler and bad philosophy

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 15:16:19 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
> wrote:

​> ​
> simple vitrification and ASC (which is also a form of vitrification) can
> be integrated in the same suspension workflow, with relatively minor
> increase in cost. We uploaders could share the dewars with the biologicals
> and let the godlike AIs of the future handle the details.

That would
​ ​
be
​ ​
the obvious solution. I keep waiting for somebody to give
​ ​
me
​ ​
a practical reason why ASC can't be carried out on a large scale,
​ ​
but
​ ​
​ ​
haven't heard one, the only objection to ASC that I've heard
​ ​
comes
​ ​
not from chemistry, biology, physics or even economics but from
​ ​
bad philosophy
​, REALLY bad philosophy​
as
​ ​
can be seen
​ ​
in the current issue of Cryonics magazine,
​ ​
disjointed
​ ​
philosophical
​ ​
musings
​ ​
so bad
​ ​
they
​ ​
could very well turn out to be downright lethal. Its the sort of thing that
gives philosophy a bad name.

If cryonicists
​ ​
want to survive they're going to have to be ruthlessly rational and
logical. The specter of vitalism, which should have die
​d​
400 years ago but didn't, has come back and it could kill us. Maybe there
is a real reason against ASC that I don't know and if so I'd like to be
educated, but I've
​heard​
 enough bilge about
​the mighty​
 ORIGINAL (whatever that means)
​ ​
and how that an
​d​
only that
​ ​
biological body contains
​ ​
a mysterious life...force..., or a
​ ​
mysterious ... something, that the scientific method can't detect.
​
If I thought that mysterious something actually existed I'd forget all
about Cryonics and just do what almost everybody else does when confronted
with mortality, go for the standard religious mumbo jumbo snake oil.

​> ​
> If you offer an ASC option as a rider on my contract, even at a higher
> cost, I'll sign up.

​ME TOO! Just show me where to sign my name.

 John K Clark​