[ExI] Theoretical Breakthrough? Was Re: Do digital computers feel?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 04:26:55 UTC 2017

On Wed., 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:45 pm, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Stathis,
>

> Dang, I really thought this iteration of the argument, if you fully
> understood it, would at least have some effect on your insistence that the
> neuro substitution argument is not completely flawed.
>

> These statements of yours seem obviously completely wrong and indicate you
> still don't fully understand what I'm trying to say about qualitative
> discern-ability and how the binding neuron can't work the way you say
> describe, and how it must behave in the way I say it needs to - to achieve
> the necessary subjective or objective qualitative discern-ability
> functionality:
>
> *"the hypothesis is self-contradictory, since if it were true it would
> lead to a subject whose qualia could change in a gross way, but who would
> never be able to notice the change." *
>
> and
>
> *"if you are right and qualia are due to a certain brain structure, then
> qualia do not exist"*
>

> Could you describe why you think these are in a little more detail, or
> provide an example, as I don't see how anyone could think either of these
> could be true?
>

> And could you tell me if the most recent description of my qualitative
> discern-ability theory had any effect, whatsoever, on the way you think
> about the neuro substitution and the qualitative nature of consciousness?
> Do you understand what I mean by objective and subjective qualitative
> discern-ability are necessary given what we (I, sorry John) subjectively
> experience of qualitative knowledge?  If you don't understand it, probably
> nobody else will be able to understand it. :(  I guess we're not done,
> after all.  Oh well, thanks for still not giving up on trying to understand
> what I'm trying to say, and or helping me to better understand the way you
> think.  I sure don't want to have to resort to just waiting for the
> experimental neuroscientists to prove to us which of us closer to the true
> theory of the qualitative nature of consciousness.

But there is NO experimental result that would make any difference to the
argument. To give some emotional distance I have tried non-biological
examples. If the power supply of your computer is replaced with a different
power supply that produces exactly the same voltage and current, is it
possible that your programs will run differently? If the cylinders in your
car engine are replaced with cylinders of a different material with the
same dimensions, density, melting point, and every other relevant physical
parameter is it possible that your car will run differently?

Brent

> [...]
> when glycine binds), then the neuron will behave in the same way in regard
> to when it will fire, and hence all the downstream neurons and the muscles
> will behave in the same way, and the subject will behave in the same way.
> "The subject will behave in the same way" means, among other things, that
> the subject will say in a before/after comparison that the strawberries
> look red to him in exactly the same way as they did before. If you don't
> agree with this, then please point out where in the detailed chain of
> events I have described I have missed something and explain how the
> glutamate/glycine swap (leaving everything else in the brain the same) can
> possibly lead to the subject saying that his qualia have changed.
>
> If you assume the qualia experience functionality will arise or emerge in
> some other way or some other abstracted level, then it is this other
> abstracted location of qualia that can't be ignored, and must be able to be
> reliably compared via composite awareness.  I am talking about doing a
> neuro substitution at this level, with the required qualia comparison
> functionality, not the level you are talking about, where the qualia being
> compared is being removed.  If you are going to claim that a comparison
> functionality can be constructed out of this simplistic lower level (I
> don't see how this could be done), then provide at least one theoretically
> possible description of such (as I have done with glutamate, glycene, and a
> binder neuron to make a composite experience), and with that, whatever it
> is, it will be obvious what happens, and why, as the neural substitution
> occurs.
>
> If you do the neural substitutuion on a system that, instead of ignoring
> and removing qualia comparison, you provide any testable theoretical method
> of really doing the function of qualitative comparison, it can be obvious
> what is going on during the neural substitution.  Let's do this by having
> two sets of such identical 3 element qualitative comparison systems, one
> that doesn't change and is for constant reference comparison purposes, and
> the other one is the one we will perform the neuro substitution on.  We
> will bind these two systems with the same provided binding system in a meta
> comparison functioning system which will monitor and compare all the
> qualities, as the neural substitution takes place on one of the systems, so
> you can prove to everyone, both objectively and subjectively, exactly what
> it is going on, and why both of the 3 element systems are always
> indicating: "It is red" even though one is the qualia invert of the other
> after one of the neuro substitution steps.  If you duplicate all this
> *observable behavior*, including the meta awareness of what is going on
> with both systems, there will be no hard problems when it is neuro
> substituted since you are not removing the most important *observable

Stathis Papaioannou