[ExI] trump's hormones

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 01:58:41 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 4:14 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> What if we have a system that scans the ballots realtime and puts up digital
> images on a public site?  The voter could keep a receipt with ballot number,
> then check it at any later time to verify it hasn't been modified.

Actually, I can think of a couple cases where this might not always be
anonymous.

1) If ballot numbers correspond to addresses, and you know the ballot
number of some voter in a residence, then you know that adjacent ones
are likely to be the others at the same place - especially if you also
know they're alphabetical by first or last name.  This exact weakness
is likely to come up in many cases even if you mandate cryptographic
security with ballot numbers: the offending clerks who failed to put
it in could claim ignorance of what cryptography is (or other
incompetence), but may well be bribed far in excess of the minor fine
they'd have to pay by organizations looking to breach voter anonymity.
(Think about it: how much would, say, the Louisiana or North Carolina
GOP pay to be able to pull off voter intimidation?  They'd likely file
it as a cost of doing business, and have the various clerks "forget"
to mail ballots to, or keep on the voter rolls, anyone who did not
vote Republican last time - until the courts objected, but by then the
GOP would already have a database of people who they would prefer not
to allow to vote, so much more exact than targeting by race, class,
age, and so on.)

2) Handwriting analysis of write-in votes.  If I have enough samples
of your handwriting and online access to every ballot in your
district, I can see if you did or did not make a specific write-in
vote.  I could send thugs to ask you to make specific votes including
a specific write in so I could identify your ballot; if no ballot in
your district has that write-in in your hand, then you defied my
goons' instructions, just as surely as if you did do that write-in but
otherwise voted differently from what I ordered.  This would be a
little more labor-intensive and run a higher risk of getting reported
to the cops, but it might be favored in less sophisticated places.

> Until we get rid of every electronic voting machine, every one of them, we
> won’t know who the commie hackers will help elect.

Even if we did get rid of them, we still wouldn't know - unless you're
proposing that posting all this online would allow for third party
recounts (with individuals able to verify their own ballots) even if
the official count is way outside what would allow for a recount.