[ExI] AI article

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 20:54:32 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> A while ago,
>
> "bill k - Where's the Protestant work ethic of hard work, discipline
> and frugality gone?"
>
> The more useful question here might be where did these traits come from?
>
> Gregory Clark claims (and has the supporting data) that the traits you
> mention were genetically selected.  By his estimate, the population
> type changed (was selected) to those more attuned to Protestant memes.
> The type change happened over a number of generations, but finally, a
> meme set more attuned to typical people popped into existence.  It
> spread rapidly.
>
> I.e., if Clark is right, the human population traits of "hard work,
> discipline, and frugality" were what made Protestant memes spread.
>
> Keith
>
> PS back to your implied question of how can we get them back, read
> Clark. I don't think what happened in the past can be brought back nor
> would we want that.  However, there may be other ways.

​I'd like to see the evidence that it has gone away.  Challenge every
assumption, I say.  Since the genes have not disappeared, all that is
needed is to figure out the environment needed to activate the set
producing the effect (perhaps inactivated by epigenetics in ancestors - and
perhaps not inactivated at all)

If this has to do with the tiny percentage of free loaders on welfare, then
we have another question.

  bill w​