[ExI] Quantum consciousness, quantum mysticism, and transhumanist engineering

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 20:25:21 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

​>
>>> ​>>​
>>> conscious
>>>

>> ​>> ​
>> ​How do I know that?
>>
> -------------
> ​>​
> You know the latter because that's what the neurologists say.

​If the Turing Test doesn't work for consciousness because it has no
observable consequences then neurologists can say absolutely positively
* nothing* about consciousness, except that they themselves are conscious.
And I would have no proof or even evidence that what they say is true even
when they're just talking about themselves.   ​

> what if EVERY observable effect is the result of the conscious mind?

It could be but meaning needs contrast, if EVERYTHING is conscious then the
observable results would be the same as if NOTHING  was conscious, so I'd
have no hope in ever discovering which possibility is true. So it's
pointless to worry about consciousness. Worry about observable intelligent
behavior instead.

 John K Clark ​