[ExI] Single Payer Healthcare

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 00:51:51 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017  Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

​
>> ​>>​
>> The USA has gone backward. In 1960
>

> ​> ​
> Note the changes in medical legislation from 01956 onward. Would you say
> that has nothing to do with this?

​Obviously not, if I thought otherwise I would not have mentioned it as
this thread is about medical legislation. ​

> ​> ​
> Do you want to do data analysis or just do pretend science by factoid?

​Factoid?? We're talking about the results of a experiment that lasted
decades involved about a billion people and cost trillions of dollars, and
the results are clear as a bell; like it or not single payer countries get
more bang for their buck, they live longer and spend less, a lot less. As a
libertarian I wish the facts could have produced a different conclusion but
reality doesn't give a damn what I prefer.

​> ​
> My point is you have to look at more than just tote factoid.

Factoid my ass! ​

> In this case, you'd have to make sure you're comparing like to like.

​Of those 30 countries you can't ​find one that is anything like the USA?
Are Canadians a different species?

> .
> ​> ​
> Let me try another example that you'll ignore, but others might benefit
> from.
> ​  ​
> Smoking rates are lower in the US than in Japan.

​Slightly lower that's true. The smoking in the USA has dropped a lot in
recent years, from 20.9% in 2005 to
16.8%
​in 2015 ​
vs 19.3% in
​Japan. ​
  ​

> ​> ​
> The Japanese life expectancy is higher.

​I know, 83.1 years vs 78.8, yet the Japanese spend only $4150 on health
with their single payer plan and the USA spends
$ 9405
​ with its convoluted mess. This is not a subtle difference that can be
explained away as a rounding error.

> Would you argue we should get US-Americans to smoke more?

​No, but if all 30 of the longer lived countries did I most certainly
would. ​

​
>> ​>> ​
>> Be honest Dan, if the 30 single payer countries I mentioned spent twice
>> as much on healthcare as the USA and yet their citizens had shorted lives
>> than the USA would you be complaining about
>> ​ and​
>> ​ ​
>> experimental
>>

> ​> ​
> To be honest, John, it's not entirely honest on your part to avoid my
> questions based on how you feel I might have answered were the data
> different.
> ​​
> In a word,
> you're sidestepping in inconvenient questions.

​I
don't know which question of yours I've sidestepped, but I
​know
of a question of mine
​that ​
you have
​ sidestepped​
:  if the 30 single payer countries I mentioned spent twice as much on
healthcare as the USA and yet their citizens had
​shorter
​
lives than the USA would you be complaining about
​
sampling errors
​
and