[ExI] non-physician heal thyself

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 20:14:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 3:15 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> *From:* extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Mike Dougherty
>
> >…I imagine with Amazon drone delivery, your co-signed drugs could be
> flown to you within mere minutes.
>
> >…The decision for who should be allowed what category of drugs goes to a
> discussion of philosophy and politics and economics.  Regardless of your
> philosophy or the philosophy of the legislators, there exists powerful
> entities who leverage the law to maintain their revenue streams.  I don't
> expect anything this side of the singularity to break that hegemony…
>

> Hmmm, suspect that will not fly.  Patient orders opiates, drone,
> neighbor’s teenager shoots it down with a clever pressurized water stream,
> devours medications, hallucinates, slays other neighbor.  Who is liable?
> Probably Amazon because they have the deepest pockets, and whatever company
> manufactured the tank used to pressurize the water jet would be the next
> obviously guilty deep pockets.  Clearly the murderous teenager is innocent,
> for she has no money.

"[drone] ... will not fly"  Did you do that on purpose?

I'm fairly confident Amazon has almost as much interest in protecting its
drones as our military does - perhaps more so because military hardware is
generally expendable and replaceable with taxpayer dollar.  Every drone
lost counts against Amazon's bottom line.  Over time, the same manufacturer
will be supplying both groups.  So when the drug-seeking prole shoots, the
drone countermeasures shoot back.  Property-respecting, Law abiding
citizens have nothing to fear; delivery drones are harmless unless provoked.

The dystopian aspect of this story is not the violence - it's the promise
of a total lack of violence: the proles are otherwise pacified and there's
nobody left with an inclination to challenge the status quo.